23 Feb How to design a seamless pattern in Photoshop
Today I want to show you how to design a seamless pattern in Photoshop that you can use for fabrics, any kind of prints or even home decor wallpaper.
To create the pattern on the example I’m using my watercolor leaves 01 package, which you can find here: https://crmrkt.com/QE6aD
All my illustrations are ready to create seamless patterns because I already cut and delete all the white areas so that they don’t overlap between them.
Moreover, you can add other colors or textures on the background without problem 🙂
In case you just want to try the technique, I’ve put together 2 of my watercolor clip arts as samples ready to use in this particular tutorial.Create seamless patterns in Photoshop with just few clicks with this tutorial and you will be ready… Click To Tweet
Download my free clip arts for this tutorial
Here you have the same illustrations I’m using, ready for you to follow my tutorial 🙂
Feel free to use these or any of my other watercolor clip art suites from Creative Market. You can also use your own illustrations, but remember to scan them at high resolution and take the time to clean the files until you have transparent background like me.
Here you have my video tutorial with step by step instructions on how to create a seamless pattern in Photoshop:
In case you want some quick instructions, here you have them:
1) Open a new document and add your illustrations into new layers.
2) Arrange them, trying to follow different directions so that you pattern can be used in fabric design.
3) Don’t cut any illustration on the borders of your artboard. It’s better to only work on the center and leave the borders and corners empty.
4) Join your layers into a group and duplicate it.
5) Merge the copy of the group into a unique layer, and make the rest of your layers and groups invisible.
6) With the merged layer selected, go to Effect > Other > Offset and move around the arrows until you see big empty areas.
7) Fill those areas with new illustrations.
8) Merge again all into one layer.
9) Select the final layer (and make sure all the others are invisible) and go to Edit > Define Pattern…
10) Open a new document and use your pattern to paint anything you want!
Grab your free samples
I’m giving you my illustrations for free so that you can easily follow my tutorial 🙂
I really hope you find it easy and you start having fun creating patterns. Photoshop is the best tool to create seamless patterns ready to use in any media you need.
Feel free to share your designs with me or ask me any questions you may have.
Remember that you can download my watercolor leaves illustrations here or find other watercolor clip arts ready to create new patterns from my Creative Market shop 🙂
Before you go... it's free!
I want to help you find your butterflies (aka clients) and make your ideal clients fall in love with everything you do.
Ready to have an unforgettable brand?